Sunday, January 23, 2011

DC Restaurant Week part I

I have experienced a weekend of p.u.r.e. g.l.u.t.t.o.n.y.
Thank you, Washington, DC, and all of your marvelous culinary contraptions. Its not every day that college students can go out to some of the finest restaurants in a major city and dine like the Queen. Literally. The benefit of your $35.11 food voucher is so you can try many items on a restaurant's menu. Each restaurant does theirs a little differently, but generally there is a set menu with between 3 and 5 sets of dishes (that are on their regular menu anyway). You chose one dish from each set. Really, you are getting bang for your buck.


My experience started on Friday night at José Andrés' Oyamel. I have been a fan of Andrés since the summer before I started college, when I first experienced true Tapas at his restaurant (strategically located just a block away from Oyamel) Jaleo. While the two restaurants are comparable in style, decor and price, Oyamel has at least one essential item that no Spanish tapas restaurant would-- GUAC.
We (my four sorority sisters and myself) began the meal with house made corn tortilla chips, a light and spicy salsa and guacamole- I'm talking about the real stuff, where the waiter smashes the avocados in a clay bowl at your tableside. The guac was spicy, sweet and scrumptious. It was the perfect balance of avocado, onion and cilantro- three main components in any traditional guacamole- but still managed to be chunky- just the way I like it. The sprinkling of Cotija cheese is the perfect accessory to the dish.



The Oyamel restaurant week menu gave the option of three small, appetizer-like dishes, one taco and a dessert. WOWZA.
I began my culinary journey into the Mexican world with a Wahoo ceviche- creamy and tart, mixed with avocado and jalepeños. Think guacamole...with fish!!! Next up was charred brussels sprouts with chile sauce, pumpkin seeds and peanuts. OMG. These were by far the best brussels sprouts I have ever tasted. When I say charred, I mean charred. They were caramelized and crispy. Sweet and savory. Anyone who doesn't like brussels sprouts would like these, I promise. Next came braised short ribs with a cilantro parsley sauce. They were tender and rare, and I barely needed a knife. Cooked perfectly with the perfect sauce. My mouth is watering just thinking about them. For my taco, I chose the very similar shredded beef taco with cumin, tomatoes and cilantro. You can really tell that the tacos are homemade and hand pressed. I have never tasted a taco shell so authentic. The perfect frame to a beautifully flavored filling.

And finally, dessert. Oh, that small section of my stomach that allows me room for dessert, no matter how full I already am. Now usually I am not a fan of flan, but this sweet potato flan with pumpkin sauce and caramel ice cream was unlike any flan I have ever had. It wasn't jiggly and artificial feeling. It was smooth and creamy and SO flavorful. Like Thanksgiving in Mexico, I kid you not.
So, Chef Andrés, I thank you. I thank you for a lovely dining experience yet again. You have never managed to let me down and your creativity and skills are pure genius. I will definitely be back for more.

Photo Credit: Oyamel Restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment