Thursday, February 24, 2011

Food Truck MANiA

I'll be the first to admit it, I am a full-fledged food truck whore. I follow over 25 food trucks on Twitter, take pride in my tweets received by them, and make an effort to get at least one food truck specialty a week.
The concept of a "gourmet food truck" is still rather novel, and very few cities haven taken part in the trend. Thankfully, D.C. is chalk full of them, providing me ample opportunity to sample cuisines from all over the world- and all over D.C..
Being a student at GW has definitely made my food truck experience a little harder to grasp than, say, the average business person for a variety of reasons. First, when I only have a few minutes in between classes, I am limited to how far I can travel to get lunch. Luckily, the food trucks make an effort to grace the GW campus with their presence at least once a week, so students need not travel far. The other complication is the fact that I usually have class during the usual lunch time, thus preventing me from obtaining one of the food trucks' fantastic specialities during the lunch time rush. Again, luckily, the trucks usually stay until about 2 pm, thus giving me enough time to grab something and either bring it to class or enjoy it right then and there (which is what usually happens, as I haven't learned to be patient when it comes to eating a gourmet lunch. Could you?).
Food trucks are the perfect meal for students and business people alike. The meals usually range from $6 to $10, are served within about five minutes of you placing your order, and are freakin' delicious! Seriously, I've yet to have a bad experience from one of these mobile eateries. And the best part is, you can stalk all of them on Food Truck Fiesta, as an interactive Google map updates the trucks' location to the minute.
Like I said, I try to have at least one meal a week from a food truck. Thursdays are usually the big food truck days on campus, so I am trying to blog about one food truck a week as well. Keep an eye out for Sauca, Cap Mac, Lobster Truck DC, Sweet Flow Mobile, and El Floridano, as I have been lucky enough to sample all of these thus far.

No comments:

Post a Comment