Sunday, February 6, 2011

Georgetown Cupcake vs. Baked & Wired

Ah, the ongoing debate between one of my favorite subjects- cupcakes. Washington D.C. offers a variety of cuisines- Ethiopian, Italian, Dim Sum, Authentic Mexican...you name it. But one of the most talked about foods here is cupcakes. Why? Because there is such a competition between what bakery makes the best ones. In particular, Baked & Wired and Georgetown Cupcake have been in the competition ever since they've both been conveniently located in Georgetown's M Street (or side street thereof).
My 20th birthday was yesterday, and being the cake snob that I am, both my parents and my friends sent me cupcakes. Dad & Ilana send a variety of Georgetown cupcakes while friends bring my 6 favorite flavors from Baked & Wired to my birthday brunch. Now for the longest time, I- along with all of my friends and any employee in Georgetown- have argued in Baked & Wired's favor. After this weekend, sampling over 12 different cupcakes, I still remain loyal, but I have to admit- the ladies at Georgetown Cupcake know what they're doing.
I guess the main distinguishers between the two is appearance. B & W are large- like mini cakes. The frosting was definitely spooned on rather than piped and the traditional cupcake liner has been substituted for a more organic looking bakery paper. Georgetown cupcakes are precious little packages- perfectly piped frosting with their "signature swirl," custom cupcake liners, and various toppings so you know exactly what you're eating- from caramel sauce in the shape of a flower, to fondant hearts, to candy limes. As you can see from my muploads, Gtown is much more of an eye pleaser.

Baked and Wired >

Georgetown Cupcake >

Anyway, the thing I like about B & W is you know they are home made. You can just taste it. The cake is so smooth and fluffy, the frosting is creamy and rich, and you are definitely getting your money's worth. On the other hand, the first word that comes to mind when you say, "Georgetown Cupcake" is "commercial." The cupcakes seem less fresh, less natural, and less loved. The two bakery's red velvets are pretty comparable, but there are many more flavors at B & W that sound too irresistible, whereas at Georgetown, most of the flavors contain either chocolate or vanilla cake or frosting. The salty caramel and key lime, however, are two of the most unique and the most delectable. M-M-M-M-M.
The environments are very different too, and reflect the same quality seen in the cupcakes. When you walk into Baked & Wired, all you want to do is curl up on one of their giant lazy boy chairs and read a book. The employees are very chill and friendly and the music and atmosphere- along with the sugary buttery smell- is so welcoming. Gtown, however, is brightly lit, chaotic and less welcoming. The line is guaranteed to be out the door on any Saturday (mostly due to their TLC show, DC Cupcakes) and the employees seem rushed and only focused on getting you and your cupcakes right back on M Street.
All in all, I would be happy receiving cupcakes from either bakery (I mean they are still cupcakes at the end of the day), but my ideal day would include a trip to Baked & Wired...with lots and lots of cupcakes!!

1 comment:

  1. Lauren - I love that you have a food blog. I have one as well (about gluten free eating). It was great meeting you this weekend. See you on campus!

    ReplyDelete